The conclusion of your nursing dissertation is a critical element that brings your research to its culmination. It’s the final opportunity to leave a lasting impression on your readers, summarizing your findings and highlighting the significance of your study within the field of nursing. In this guide, we will explore the essential steps to crafting an effective nursing dissertation conclusion.
Why Is It Important to Write a Good Dissertation Conclusion?
Writing a good dissertation conclusion is of paramount importance for several reasons:
- Summarizes the Entire Dissertation: The conclusion serves as a concise summary of your dissertation. It encapsulates the main research question, objectives, methodology, findings, and their implications. This summary provides readers with a quick overview of your work, making it easier for them to understand the essence of your research.
- Reiterates the Research Question: A well-written conclusion reiterates the primary research question and objectives. This reinforces the focus of your study and reminds readers of the central problem you aimed to address.
- Highlights Key Findings: The conclusion allows you to emphasize the most significant findings of your research. By doing so, you draw attention to the core outcomes and contributions of your work, ensuring that readers understand its relevance.
- Demonstrates Understanding: Crafting a good conclusion demonstrates your deep understanding of the dissertation topic. It showcases your ability to synthesize complex information and present it in a coherent and organized manner.
- Shows Implications and Applications: A strong conclusion delves into the practical implications of your research. It explains how your findings can be applied in real-world scenarios, whether in academia, industry, or policy-making. This application-oriented approach adds value to your dissertation.
- Addresses Limitations: Acknowledging the limitations of your research is a crucial aspect of a good conclusion. It demonstrates intellectual honesty and transparency. Readers gain a better understanding of the boundaries and potential areas for improvement in your study.
- Offers Recommendations: Conclusions often include recommendations for further research. These recommendations guide future scholars in building upon your work, advancing the field, and addressing any unanswered questions your study may have raised.
- Leaves a Lasting Impression: The conclusion is the last section of your dissertation that readers will encounter. It’s your final opportunity to leave a lasting impression. A well-crafted conclusion can reinforce your arguments, leave readers with a strong sense of your research’s significance, and create a positive impression.
- Measures Academic Competence: In academia, the quality of your dissertation conclusion reflects your overall academic competence and research skills. A strong conclusion can enhance your reputation as a scholar and researcher.
- Satisfies Examiner Expectations: Dissertation examiners and reviewers often have high expectations for the conclusion. Meeting or exceeding these expectations is essential for receiving a favorable evaluation of your work.
How Is a Dissertation Conclusion Different from a Discussion?
While both the conclusion and discussion are integral parts of a dissertation, they serve distinct roles. The discussion section is where you interpret and analyze your research findings, examining their implications and limitations. In contrast, the conclusion provides a concise summary of the entire dissertation, emphasizing the main outcomes, recommendations, and contributions to the field.
How Long Should Your Dissertation Conclusion Be?
There is no fixed length for a dissertation conclusion; however, it is generally recommended that it constitutes approximately 5-7% of the total dissertation word count. For example, if your dissertation is 10,000 words long, your conclusion should be roughly 500-700 words. The key is to ensure that it is succinct yet comprehensive enough to encapsulate the essence of your research.
Join Our 10k Happy Nursing Students
- Get original papers written according to your instructions.
- Save time for what matters most.
How to Write a Dissertation Conclusion
Here is a structure for crafting an impactful nursing dissertation conclusion:
Answer The Research Question
Addressing the primary research question in your dissertation conclusion is a crucial step that brings clarity and coherence to your study. By restating the research question as it appeared in the preface and providing a direct response, you offer readers a definitive understanding of the outcome of your research.
This response should be unambiguous, leaving no room for doubt regarding whether your findings support or refute your initial hypothesis or research question. Additionally, tying together your findings in this context helps your readers see how the collected data and analysis led to the conclusion in your dissertation presentation.
This ensures that your dissertation conclusion serves its purpose of summarizing your research and providing a well-defined answer to the central research question, contributing to the overall understanding of your study’s significance.
For example, if your research question was, “Does a specific nursing intervention improve patient outcomes in critical care units?” your response could be structured as follows:
- Restated Research Question: “To revisit our primary research question, we asked whether the implementation of a specific nursing intervention would improve patient outcomes in critical care units.”
- Direct Response: “Based on the analysis of our data and the findings presented in this study, it is evident that the implementation of the specific nursing intervention did lead to statistically significant improvements in patient outcomes in critical care units.”
Summarize And Reflect On The Research
In your dissertation conclusion, it’s vital to provide a succinct summary of your research’s key aspects, including its aims, methods, and key findings. By briefly revisiting the research aims and objectives as outlined in the introduction, you help readers contextualize the significance of your findings.
Reflecting on how your research aligns with these initial goals showcases the consistency and coherence of your study. This reflection demonstrates your ability to stay focused on the research’s primary objectives throughout the study, reinforcing the validity of your findings and the relevance of your research in addressing the research problem or question you originally set out to investigate.
In your thesis or dissertation conclusion, it is essential to go beyond summarizing your findings and offer practical recommendations that stem directly from your research. These recommendations should be firmly grounded in the evidence and insights uncovered during your study.
For nursing dissertations, these recommendations can span various domains, including nursing practice, healthcare policy, or avenues for further research. By offering concrete suggestions based on your findings, you not only demonstrate the practical implications of your work but also contribute to the advancement of the nursing field.
These recommendations provide guidance for healthcare professionals, policymakers, and future researchers, fostering a direct and meaningful impact on the broader healthcare landscape.
Emphasize Your Contributions
In the dissertation conclusion, it is imperative to emphasize the contributions your research has made to nursing. This is an opportunity to highlight not only the significance of your findings but also any novel insights or practices that have emerged as a result of your study. By underscoring your contributions, you establish the value of your research within the nursing discipline.
Whether your work has validated existing nursing practices, challenged conventional wisdom, or introduced innovative approaches, articulating these contributions demonstrates your role as a contributor to the advancement of nursing knowledge.
It also showcases your ability to bring fresh perspectives and valuable insights to the field, thereby leaving a lasting mark on the ongoing development of nursing practice and scholarship.
7 Tips for Writing a Dissertation Conclusion
Crafting an effective conclusion is essential for leaving a lasting impression on your readers and summarizing the significance of your study. These tips will help you navigate this critical phase of your dissertation writing process, ensuring that your conclusion serves its purpose in a clear and memorable way.
- Be Concise: Avoid unnecessary verbosity; be clear and to the point.
- Stay Focused: Ensure your conclusion is aligned with your research question and objectives.
- No New Information: Do not introduce new data or arguments in your conclusion.
- Be Reflective: Reflect on the research process, acknowledging any limitations.
- Call to Action: Where relevant, inspire readers or practitioners to take specific actions.
- Be Positive: Conclude on a positive note, emphasizing the potential impact of your findings.
- Proofread: Ensure your conclusion is well-edited and free from errors.
Dissertation Conclusion Checklist for Students
Before finalizing your conclusion, ensure that it covers the following aspects:
- Answers the main research question.
- Summarizes the overall argument.
- Reflects on the research aims, methods, and results.
- Mentions any encountered limitations.
- Discusses relevant recommendations.
- Explains contributions made from the research.
- Ensures that no new data or arguments are introduced.
Conclusion on Nursing Dissertation Writing
Writing a compelling nursing dissertation conclusion requires a clear understanding of its purpose and careful articulation of your research outcomes and contributions. By adhering to the steps and tips outlined in this article, you can craft a conclusion that leaves a lasting impression and aptly culminates your scholarly endeavor.
Leave a lasting impression with a well-crafted nursing dissertation. Our nursing dissertation writing service will help you understand the art of summarizing your research and leaving your readers with a powerful takeaway. Order now and ensure your dissertation ties up your research journey with finesse.
Get a high-quality paper in under 3 hours!
- Get original papers written according to your instructions.
- Save time for what matters most.